Sunday, April 17, 2011

Life as a cyclist... not too bad.

When I got the news about my stress fracture, my Dr. told me to stay in shape and keep up my endurance with biking or swimming. I hate swimming, so the bike it was. With the horrible weather I took up spin class everyday, seriously I've been like 10 times. So instead of feeling sorry for myself on race day, I had them switch my half-marathon spot over to the 25 mile bike tour. Heck yeah! This way I still got to compete and be part of the event and be there to cheer my Dad on. I new my adventurous sister-in-law Amy would be willing to be my partner in crime after Ryan backed out last minute due to being sick. We had a blast, and some hilarious moments which I will not get into because you had to be there.
The bike tour started at 6:00 am and we finished at 7:30 so we had over an hour to wait for my dad to finish. We enjoyed all the free race food, then waited in the huge Starbucks line for some hot chai because we were freezing and of course wet with sweat (we're both sweaty girls). Or maybe it's just because we rode so hard and fast..... yeah, that was it.

We waited for my Dad so I could snatch an awesome action shot, but we were standing on the opposite side of him and I ended up getting a better shot of some weirdo I don't even know. But you can see my butt-kickin' pops on the far left in the red, coming in at top speed to finish with a rockin' 1:53. Good work Dad, you never fail to impress!

Overall it was a good day, although there was just a little jealousy when I watched all the runners finish, wishing it was me. But I loved the bike tour and am soooo glad I did it. I might consider cycling now as my cross-training from all my running. But for the next month or so, I'm a cyclist baby!

2 comments:

amy g said...

You are my hearo Clair!! He did so awesome. and YOU did so awesome on the bike tour! I think we should do another tour. We gotta talk Madi out of doing little red and take her spot. we could totally do 35 miles! Yesterday was just what I needed to get me ready for the summer racing scene, thank you time a thousand!!!

ps-I figured "bountiful 5th ward" was you. I caught it when you said "easter augies" :). I saw a HA HA HAA today, aka helicopter.

Adam and Julia said...

I hadn't even heard anything about this stress fracture until today when reading your blog. Although, at work I did hear that you were riding instead of running the half marathon the other weekend. Sorry to hear about it, but just remember that we all think you still look better than Jillian does!